Author Topic: Remote central locking problem.  (Read 3897 times)

Offline Tony

Remote central locking problem.
« on: April 28, 2012, 11:52:11 am »
Hello. I'm new to the forum and was hoping someone here might have an explanation / solution to my remote locking problem.

After having a new clutch fitted, my central locking no longer works remotely. When I press the fob button, the radio wakes up, so I know the battery in the fob is ok, and that the car "hears" the key and recognises at least something in the fob's RF signal.
The central locking works fine using the key, so I know that's OK too. It seems to me that there is something missing between the car's brain and the central locking trigger, like a reset code or some such? Anyway, I'm thinking that this is probably a "known issue". Just not known by me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Car:        Xsara coupe van.
Year:      2004.
Milage:   230,000 Miles (not a typo).
Remap:  Superchipped at 60,000 miles. Nice!
Tony

Offline wheeler

Re: Remote central locking problem.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 06:29:03 pm »
Have you tried re syncing it ?
The best way i find doing it is turn the ignition on & keep pressing both big buttons alternitivley for 10 seconds, stop & remove the key from the ignition, close the door & lock it with the key,wait 30 seconds then open it with the key, open  & close the door then try the remote again & see if it works, you might have to try the procedure a few times.

Offline cphilip

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 04:02:01 pm »
Hello wheeler,

I have quite similar problem. My car battery went flat and got recharged. After which I have to set the date and time again. However, also after that, the remote control doesn't work no more. I have tried the sync procedure you recommended for several times, but still got no luck. I have also tried to change the remote control battery, but it still could not solve the problem apparently. I suspect that there should be some set procedure with the car, not only the remote, similar to what we have to do with the date and time, but I can not find it in any related document, even the repair manual. Please could you give me some advice? Thank you very much.
Kind regards,
Phil

Offline The Wrinkly Ninja

• aka Phil1.6
  • Administrator
  • WRC Champion
  • C5 2.0 HDi 136 Exclusive Auto.
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 06:04:20 pm »
If yours is a Phase II then often not allowing the ECU & BSI to settle before switching on ignition, then waiting again before starting, can lose the connection between keyfob and remote locking. Recharging in situ may do the same thing.

If the above hasn't worked, you'll need to visit somewhere like a Dealer whio has a Lexia3 machine to assist the recode. You'll also need the car's security card as well, for them to retrieve the code, otherwise they'll charge you to retrieve that as well.
       Official CXOC Snapper         Oel ngati kameie Tsmukan

Offline NeilFBrodie

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 09:58:37 pm »
I've got the same problem with my Xsara '03 Hatchback.

I left the dipped lights on for about 9 hours in the staff car park during work.

After a bump start and a drive home the central locking didn't work remotely anymore.

I have read so many recommendations on-line how to reset the central locking, with the key fob buttons, incuding the owner's handbook, none of which have worked for me.

The more presses of the key fob buttons out of range of the car apparently increases the chances of the central locking going out of sync.

I really believe now the only way I'll get it working again is to visit a Citroen main dealer with the key card, for the car to be hooked up to their computer for a reset proper.

Heard it costs from £45 upwards?

• aka Phil1.6
  • Administrator
  • WRC Champion
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 10:11:03 pm »
Cost me about 65 a few years back.

Offline cphilip

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 11:47:45 pm »
Thank you for the replies, this is exactly what I expected, I mean the procedure, not the cost. They should not charge such a fee for a simple computer reset!

Offline wybd60

• If it aint broke, don't fix it.
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 08:18:52 am »
That's why they're called Main Stealers  >:(
52 C15 Champ 600D "Rocky"
KIA Soul 64 Plate

Offline wheeler

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 10:21:25 am »
Thank you for the replies, this is exactly what I expected, I mean the procedure, not the cost. They should not charge such a fee for a simple computer reset!
In the defence of main dealers it might just be a 15 minute job but they have had to outlay thousands of pounds to buy the diagnostic equipment to do the job. It doesent stop there either, once they have bought the equipment they still need to pay a quarterly subscription to the manufacturer to keep the equpment updated & licenced. Also every time a new car model or engine is launched a specific (& expensive) special tool kit is issued which due to the franchise agreement the dealer has to buy even though probably only 1 or 2 things from the kit will ever be used . All this needs to be paid for somehow, there running a bussiness not a charity.

• aka Phil1.6
  • Administrator
  • WRC Champion
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 10:54:17 am »
Precisely - I may not be the world's greatest lover of Dealers, but they're there to do a job and we're glad enough to fall back on them when we really need it.

The hidden costs of any business these days are frightening, so just to keep the front doors open requires a massive monthly outlay, whether there are customers or not. I could cite a list but sceptics wouldn't take any notice anyway - take it from me, you wouldn't believe the outgoings.

Offline cphilip

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 10:59:49 am »
I agree that we should pay for a service. However this is not a right service. Imagine you has a mobile phone and every time it is out of battery you need to bring it to the service provider to reset it, and the service provider will charge for it. Totally unacceptable! What happen if I replace my battery package? the battery pack is about 100 pounds, and I have to pay another 100 to reset the ECU including the central locking code? Something is not right.

• aka Phil1.6
  • Administrator
  • WRC Champion
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 01:23:43 pm »
If the coding has been lost because the battery, for one reason or another has failed or run down to such a level that it isn't automatically reinstated on replacement/charging, I fail to see how this is the Dealer's fault, unless under warranty.

Offline cozmo

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 09:08:03 am »
Old thread this one...But still....

I have the same problem on my 03 Xsara. Tried the procedure with the key in the ignition, press key for 10 secs, turn off ignition, wait 30 secs  many times, but haven't gotten it to work.

Normally the remote central locking isn't a big deal, but since this is an estate - and the hatch in the back can only be unlocked using the remote ( why the H%&/ did they make it like this?), the car is very unpractical to use in everyday situations.

Anyway I took the car in to the local Citroen dealer today and expected them to do some "Lexia magic" and get it all working. But after one hour the mechanic returned and said they weren't able to recode the remote.  I said I wasn't interested in them spending several hours on this it being and old car and all...Another mechanic showed up - and they told me that the locking system on these Xsaras is very hard to reprogram. They told me one needs to try "hundres of times" and hopefully one will get lucky eventually.

But what surprised me most is that they do not have any other means of doing this than the procedure that I have already tried. So for one hour they had been sitting there trying the same procedure with turn on ignition, press buttons, turn off etc.

I was really dissappointed. I'd hoped they could fix this using other more reliable methods.  Luckily I didn't have to pay anything since they hadn't been able to fix the problem, but if the dealer cannot fix my car - who can...... :'(

• aka Phil1.6
  • Administrator
  • WRC Champion
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 10:47:29 am »
Had exactly the same experience myself a few years back and ended up being told I'd need a new fob. Told them what they could do with that idea and left, continuing to operate lock manually.

Couple of days later, not thinking, I hit the open button and lo and behold, it suddenly worked. Turns out they actually HAD managed to re-pair it and didn't know it.  ::)

I beieive thereare some techs who know how the system works and then there are those that have just read the book - who you get and where you go is a matter of luck.

Offline wheeler

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 12:03:58 pm »
Normally the remote central locking isn't a big deal, but since this is an estate - and the hatch in the back can only be unlocked using the remote ( why the H%&/ did they make it like this?), the car is very unpractical to use in everyday situations.
They did'nt make it like this, you dont need the remote to open the boot at all, when you unlock it with the key in the door lock you can open the boot as normal with the microswitch located in the centre of the tailgate under the chevron badge. If you can't do this either there is a fault with the car (faulty microswitch or broken wires in the tailgate loom etc) or the switch has been disabled before the remote failed. This is easily done accidently, by pressing & holding the boot release button on the remote with the ignition on, you get a confirmation beep from the horn, you repeat this again to switch it back on. Unfortunitely you need a working remote to do this.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 12:05:49 pm by wheeler »