Author Topic: Anti-Pollution Warning Light  (Read 3251 times)

Offline Miguel

Anti-Pollution Warning Light
« on: December 27, 2007, 12:20:42 am »
The other day the Anti-Pollution Warning Light came on straight after I filled up and it has been on ever since.  I have done a whole lot a reading regarding this problem and it seems to be a common fault with Citroens but no one seems to know how to fix it.

My car is still running fine, no problems at all!  Has anyone got any ideas how to fix this problem??  ???

The car in question is a 51 plate Xsara VTS 2.0

Many thanks!!

Offline Chubbs

• Shes...PIMP!
Re: Anti-Pollution Warning Light
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 01:07:44 am »
My car shows that but I aint got a cat, only now and then when I go on very long drives! but it also goes off when it slows down as well...
Was Xsara VTS, 1 off OZ Superturismo GT's Anthracite, Lowered 65mm, BMC Carbon Fliter, Miltec Manifold out, And enough ICE to shake a stick at...
Now...Seat Cupra, Full leather and option packs, oo7p dump valve, s3 strut brace, lambo galado 19" black wheels, silicon hoses and revo remap...

Offline The Wrinkly Ninja

• aka Phil1.6
  • Administrator
  • WRC Champion
  • C5 2.0 HDi 136 Exclusive Auto.
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2007, 01:31:42 am »
If you have access to an OBD II scanner, you may get more detail and be able to reset it. Probably one of the lambda sensors playing up.
       Official CXOC Snapper         Oel ngati kameie Tsmukan

Offline Miguel

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2007, 03:09:34 am »
If you have access to an OBD II scanner, you may get more detail and be able to reset it.

No such luck unfortunatly.  Any other ideas??

I'm going to check the air filter, but apart from that i'm stuck.

• aka Phil1.6
  • Administrator
  • WRC Champion
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2007, 12:40:51 pm »
Short of getting a readout, you're just fumbling in the dark. Your friendly garage should be able to read it, last ditch stand, visit your Stealer.

Offline Miguel

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 03:41:11 pm »
I've had a quick look at my air filter and there appears to be water/oil within the pipe!!??? Is this normal?

I was unable to get the filter off completely as clever Citroen have put it in an awkward place where none of my screwdrivers will fit into the hose locks.....

• aka Phil1.6
  • Administrator
  • WRC Champion
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 04:45:17 pm »
If you're referring to the breather pipe about 3/4" diameter, it's not that unusual.

Though I haven't owned a Xsara with an XU series engine, I've had several cars in the past which have. Most of them seem to run rather cold at the top of the engine and are prone to making a bit of mayonnaise under the oil filler cap and condensing out crud in the breather. Only real cure is a good long fast run to get the engine really hot and try to avoid stop/start short journeys.

Assuming you've got screw clips twist them round till you can get at them. If they've got Citroen's infamous crimped clips, the only thing you can do is cut them off - a hefty pair of wire cutters should do. Blow out the crud and replace with new Jubilees.

Doubt whether that would affect the warning you're getting, but I've come across stranger.

Offline Miguel

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 04:53:49 pm »
Its no in the breather pipe, that seems pretty clean - it?s in the main pipe about 3" diameter.  I tired twisting the 'jubilee clip' round but it wouldn't budge.  I probably gave up a bit too easily though so I will give that another go.

Apart from taking the air filter off and looking at that, I'm still stuck for ideas.  I tried leaving the engine ticking over until the fans kicked in.  Apparently this will then burn a load of crap which is left at the 'bottom'.  (Not sure if this is true).

I don't be think it will be too major as the car is running fine, just seemed strange it came on immediately after I filled up, coincidence??

• aka Phil1.6
  • Administrator
  • WRC Champion
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 05:36:48 pm »
If it's in the main pipe, the only place it could have come from would be the breather. Probably running through into the throttle housing too. If it's running fine, I'd be inclined to leave well alone.

Ticking the engine over won't shift much of anything - it needs a good blow out.

As for coming on at fill up, unless you put the nozzle in a strange orifice, no. :D More likely just turning the ignition on and off. I'd still suspect a lambda sensor. One member here found that simply moving the lead from it, corrected the fault - slightly dodgy bit of wire and iffy contact.

Offline Testor VTS

• WRC Champion
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 05:59:38 pm »
Phil and Miguel!

Look at this picture:

Offline Testor VTS

• WRC Champion
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2007, 06:08:14 pm »
the breather pipe comes directly from the rocker cover, and the "oily stuff" helps to lubricate the shaft in the throttle body (the throttle plate's shaft)

the other pipe is only an air hose, which goes to the ICV (Idle air Control Valve).

Naturally oil could come from the breaher pipe only.

And it's possible that you found some oil in the air filter housing, if nobody cleaned the throttle body before. So the oil just wept down to the air box. (and it's not really a big problem if your car covered lot of miles in it's life!)

and if you're talking about the clip on the ICV's hose - it would unclip if you put a little screwdriver between the two plates (where there's a little nipple on them - they attach here together)  - sorry couldn't describe it better....

Offline Miguel

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2007, 07:18:44 pm »
Thanks for the input Testor.  The clip I mentioned is just a simple jubilee clip, I couldn't think of the name earlier - so that 'should' be easy to take off.

I'd still suspect a lambda sensor. One member here found that simply moving the lead from it, corrected the fault - slightly dodgy bit of wire and iffy contact.

That could be a possibility...now where shoudl I be looking to do this?

Offline Frenchbug

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2007, 07:26:34 pm »
does it run ok?
Lies, damn lies and Citroens electrics

Offline Miguel

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2007, 07:30:26 pm »
It runs fine, thats the strange thing.  Now I know what your thinking 'if its not broken - don't try to fix it'.  But, its SOOO annoying!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2007, 08:32:02 pm by Miguel »

Offline fonz

• consistently a **** since 1988
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2007, 01:15:35 pm »
aye i would bet its the lambda, or fail that, the MAP sensor...

lambda seems more likely. theres two iirc?

>> Citroen Xsara - The thinking man's Saxo <<