Author Topic: airbag light constantly on  (Read 8161 times)

Offline shells81

airbag light constantly on
« on: December 03, 2011, 04:11:12 pm »
hi
i'd appreciate some help if you guys can.  I got a 54 plate picasso i got the car almost 4 years ago and not long after the airbag light started coming on randomly and after time it stayed on.  i took it to citroen and paid ?100 to connect it to the computer but they said they would need to investigate further.  Not having the spare cash at the time i decided not to bother and put up with but now i would like to sell the car so decided to try and get it fixed.  basically so far my husband has tried checking all the fuses, cut soldiered and heat shrank the wires under the passenger seat.  Got a mobile engineer guy out hooked it up to a lexia computer and said there were 3 faults no comms to the airbags ecu no comms to the steering wheel column  and something to do with a relay plate.  He suggested changing the airbag ecu so we did and then paid a local garage to reset it still the light remained.  Thats of course after letting them plug into their computer too to get the same faults.  so then we booked it into an auto electrician thinking that it would finally get resolved.  After they checked some wiring plugged into a computer they still couldnt find the fault they said they need another machine to communicate directly with the comms system.  luckily they didnt charge me as they know how much ive already thrown at it.  Feeling frustrated and searching on the internet we decided to try changing the comms 2000 unit and still nothing. aghhhhhh. sorry! i dont know what to do now!  I resent taking it back to the garage to pay them to scratch their heads! :-\

Offline Griff

• WRC Contender
  • Cooler than a lesbian genderfluid penguin
    • richardwho
Re: airbag light constantly on
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 06:16:54 pm »
What i find (Ph1 Xsara) is the airbag warning light refers to the links under the DRIVER'S seat, the side air bag lights refer to the links under the passenger seat.

I've also had this ched out by one of those fault machines (?35 to tell me something I knew  :idiot2:)

Have a go at soldering and heat srinking the wires under the drivers seat - they lead to the seat belt pre-tensioner.

Make sure you turn the battery of for 10 mins before starting the job.
May contain 35 other Citroen Xsara's, a Xantia, and some Pug 306 parts. May even have new parts fitted.

Offline wheeler

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2011, 06:44:12 pm »
The picasso is different, the seat belt pre tensioners are located in the inertia reels rather than the stalks on the seat base so there are no connections under the seats for them, only connections for the side airbags.
These are all comunication fault & none point to a specific circuit like a pre tensioner or airbag so for the moment i would rule out any of the pyrotechnic components. Does everything else electrical on the car work ? does the car have anything fitted to it that is not standard ? eg different radio, alarm or handsfree kit ?

Offline shells81

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 11:47:46 am »
hi
no we've not added anything to it all it has original cd player no alarm...everything else works on the car fine.

Offline shells81

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 11:48:52 am »
also it's not been in any kind of accident x

Offline shells81

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 11:37:39 am »
hi just to let you guys know the car has finally been fixed  :D
although it cost me ?550   :tickedoff:
according to the citroen garage they first thought it was the airbag ecu but couldn't reprogramme it so then had to have a new comms 2000 and that didnt work so had to have both together.  Hard to swallow but glad it is fixed now! :D
shell x

Offline Testor VTS

• WRC Champion
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 08:16:12 pm »
ohh my fcuking God... this could have been around 100GBP MAX here... we work for pennys...

Offline wheeler

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 10:19:27 am »
ohh my fcuking God... this could have been around 100GBP MAX here... we work for pennys...
Thats what you need to pay for quality workmanship, you only get what you pay for  ;D :2funny:
Your parts must be dirt cheap then aswell, a com2000 is over ?100 here ?

Offline Griff

• WRC Contender
  • Cooler than a lesbian genderfluid penguin
    • richardwho
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 12:29:01 pm »
Maybe worth a trip to Hungary, for a service.

Probably cost about ?30.
May contain 35 other Citroen Xsara's, a Xantia, and some Pug 306 parts. May even have new parts fitted.

Offline Testor VTS

• WRC Champion
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 07:10:49 pm »
Thats what you need to pay for quality workmanship, you only get what you pay for  ;D :2funny:
Your parts must be dirt cheap then aswell, a com2000 is over ?100 here ?

you can buy Valeo units for that price :) Dealers want loads more naturally...