Author Topic: Yet another remote key question  (Read 3294 times)

Offline Forty45

Yet another remote key question
« on: June 14, 2011, 03:10:57 pm »
The remote stopped locking and unlocking so I changed the battery in the 3 button key fob (PH 2 2001 Xsara). With the new battery in I followed the re-sync. procedure in the handbook. It does work, but requires either several pushes of the same button or swapping between lock and unlock before t does something (the boot release button works fine).
I have looked through all the suggestions on this site and tried the recommended procedure again several times but it does not return to what it should be.
Just been to the Citroen dealer. The view there is that 5 years is the lifespan of the remote - they think the circuit could be damaged (not sure why it shoud be if it works OK, stops working completely, then works of a fashion with a new battery) so a new key is the answer (for which I give them ?150!). that includes ?10 because I can't provide the key number (which is different to the number under the scratch off panel on the credit card!).

Does anyone have any suggestions on this popular topic. Anyone gone this route and had further problems?

Offline The Wrinkly Ninja

• aka Phil1.6
  • Administrator
  • WRC Champion
  • C5 2.0 HDi 136 Exclusive Auto.
Re: Yet another remote key question
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 03:25:45 pm »
Should just be press and hold for 10 seconds+.

I think your Dealer is being snotty. AFAIK that card is all I've been asked for. As for 5 years being the lifespan of the remote, they're talking B******t.

I lay odds Citroen UK over at Slough would agree.  If that were the case, why put instructions to replace the battery in the Manual - just throw the plip away and give the buggers 150 quid. No ta.

Just a thought - it might be worth trying to do a full ECU reset, then try to re-synchronise. If you go that route, remember to leave  several minutes between stages when disconnecting/reconnecting the main battery.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 03:30:47 pm by The Wrinkly Ninja »
       Official CXOC Snapper         Oel ngati kameie Tsmukan

Offline wheeler

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 04:11:24 pm »
On a ph2 Xsara the plip is ordered complete with a keyblade. The number on the scratch off panel is the transponder security code which is used for programing the key. the other number they are asking for will be the mechanical key number which determines the depth of the cuts on the key. It should be on a rectangular peice of paper about 3 inches long with a barcode printed on it & some letters & numbers under the barcode. the code will start SF1 followed by 7 numbers.

Offline sschewie

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 04:26:39 pm »
?20 buys you an aftermarket remote fob from Ebay. That's what i did when mine stopped working. still works a treat.  O0
Xsara HDI
Saxo VTS
Saxo VTR

Offline Forty45

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 09:22:10 pm »
Just a thought - it might be worth trying to do a full ECU reset, then try to re-synchronise. If you go that route, remember to leave  several minutes between stages when disconnecting/reconnecting the main battery.

How would I do that please?

Offline laura

• Jap Crap MR2 owner now... Booo hissss (hee hee)
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 12:22:58 pm »
I believe the sequence is:

* Turn ignition on, open drivers window & open bonnett - do NOT run engine & get out of the car
* turn key off through open window
* Wait 4/5 Mins
* Remove battery +
* go and make a brew & or some dinner
* Reconnect battery +
* Wait 4/5 Mins
* Turn ignition on

Wait until someone confirms before doing it, I've not done it for 6 months so may have got something wrong
Laura aka AX-Gizmo/ VTS-Gizmo

• aka Phil1.6
  • Administrator
  • WRC Champion
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 04:20:11 pm »
Pretty much it - what you're doing is allowing time for the electrics to "go to sleep" before disconnection, then allowing them to stabilise fully on reconnection.

Even opening the door will wake it up, hence doing the keys thro' the open window.

Offline Forty45

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2011, 07:46:24 am »
Thank you - I'll give it a go when it stops raining and let you know what happens.

Offline Forty45

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2011, 03:14:52 pm »
Thank you very much for the advice - this seems to have worked and saved ?150 :) Bet the dealer won't be as happy as me.... :2funny:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 07:39:26 am by Forty45 »

• aka Phil1.6
  • Administrator
  • WRC Champion
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2011, 03:28:05 pm »
Ruddy 'eck ............ it worked!  Wonders will never cease.  :o

Offline laura

• Jap Crap MR2 owner now... Booo hissss (hee hee)
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 04:48:47 pm »
 O0
Laura aka AX-Gizmo/ VTS-Gizmo

Offline sschewie

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 10:09:50 am »
Glad to hear it worked for you....just wish it did for me  :'(
Xsara HDI
Saxo VTS
Saxo VTR

• aka Phil1.6
  • Administrator
  • WRC Champion
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 12:59:10 pm »
Did you do the full ECU reset before trying to re-initiate?

Offline sschewie

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 02:24:01 pm »
Did you do the full ECU reset before trying to re-initiate?

Yes several times but it still won't work. I know the fob works because I have an aftermarket head unit installed. I didn't modify the wiring so it doesn't turn off with the ignition. After the power to the dash has switched off (approx 10 mins after removing the key) if I press a button on the fob, it wakes the head unit up for a few seconds. So I know it's sending signals which the car is definitely receiving. Something (probably the BSI unit?) just isn't telling the locks to activate. Surprise surprise, Citroen just want to replace the fob, or charge me ?80 to re-program it with no guarantee it will work >:(

Hence the ?20 aftermarket remote kit (which does work very well) it's just annoying not being able to use the standard one, knowing it does still partially work.
Xsara HDI
Saxo VTS
Saxo VTR

Offline XsaraVTS

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 07:48:21 am »
Yes several times but it still won't work. I know the fob works because I have an aftermarket head unit installed. I didn't modify the wiring so it doesn't turn off with the ignition. After the power to the dash has switched off (approx 10 mins after removing the key) if I press a button on the fob, it wakes the head unit up for a few seconds. So I know it's sending signals which the car is definitely receiving. Something (probably the BSI unit?) just isn't telling the locks to activate.

Sschewie, looks like I'm in the same situation as you, any chance you got this sorted?

For anyone else who may be able to assist, here's how it started. Went to start the car last Tuesday (2003 VTS, good battery that's only 2 year old) in the evening (it had been fine earlier that day), unlocked doors with the working plip, turned the key to ignition, all checks appear fine, turned to start engine but wouldn't start. (The starter wouldn't even attempt to turn the engine over. Pulled the key out of the ignition and tried over for the next 30 mins. Gave up. Went to lock the car but the plip would no longer work. Figured it must be a coincidence and the plip battery died.
I've been using the key to access the vehicle, and the car has started and run fine since.

Replaced the plip battery the next day, no change and the original battery was still good. Tried all the reinitialisation methods I could find (see below), but none work:

Handbook: Insert key in ignition, press a button on plip to reinitialise.

Online:
To recode the plip:
Do not press any plip buttons for at least 1 min
Insert key into ignition and within 10 sec press the locking button for 5 secs
Remove the key and do not press any buttons for at least 30 secs.

Procedure for Initialising the BSI after key learning

1. Disconnect the diagnostic tool.
2. Put the driver’s window down, lift the bonnet and ensure all
equipment is switched off.
3. Ensure all doors are closed and remove key from the
ignition.
4. Wait for 3 minutes, disconnect the vehicle battery and wait
15 seconds.
5. Reconnect the vehicle battery, wait a further 10 seconds (do
not open doors.)
6. Switch on the side lights through the driver's window.
7. Switch on the ignition and check system’s functionality.
8. Hold lock button on key down for 10 seconds.
9.remove key open & close door test central locking system
10. Start the engine and complete the system’s check.
Failure to follow this procedure could result in incorrect operation of many
BSI related items.

* Turn ignition on, open drivers window & open bonnett - do NOT run engine & get out of the car
* turn key off through open window
* Wait 4/5 Mins (waited 20 mins)
* Remove battery +
* go and make a brew & or some dinner
* Reconnect battery +
* Wait 4/5 Mins (waited 10 mins)
* Turn ignition on

Lastly, I have access to a lexia clone, would that be of any help? I understand keys can only be programmed once and would need a new/blank fob? Or is that only the immobiliser chip?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 07:56:21 am by XsaraVTS »