Author Topic: Car smells of bisto/curry.  (Read 3777 times)

Offline J-Man

Car smells of bisto/curry.
« on: June 07, 2011, 11:05:04 pm »
I guess what i'm looking for here is sympathy. Basically my xsara has developed a curry smell when the heaters on hot. Everywhere suggest cleaning the system andpollen filter change, but the bro's ex punto had this and lots of people point towards a leaky heater matrix - which makes sense actually...

Anyone able to confirm?

Offline psaman

• 5 Doors are the way forward.....
Re: Car smells of bisto/curry.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 11:35:28 pm »
Given that a pollen filter and a can of air con cleaner comes to about ?20 and takes about 10 minutes to do I'd suggest trying that first.

In terms of smells I've normally found if my car has a leaky heater matrix it tends to smell of coolant rather than curry!
2003 Xsara SX 2.0Hdi 110, 'tis nice....
'Tis much nicer now I've replaced the clogged fuel filter :)

Offline The Wrinkly Ninja

• aka Phil1.6
  • Administrator
  • WRC Champion
  • C5 2.0 HDi 138 Exclusive Auto.
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 11:51:52 pm »
A leaky heater matrix will produce a puddle on the floor in a Xsara. A puddle on the floor in a VAG car is usually down to a badly fitted pollen filter cover. A leaky heater matrix in a Punto means you shouldn't have bought a Punto.     This is true.

Now. ...... a smell like curry in a Xsara means either someone's been force-feeding your car Lamb Biryani thro' the air intakes, or you've got a load of fungus and other nasties brewing in the aircon ducting.

This is not good for the car and, surprisingly, it's not good for you either. So, if you don't want to start sprouting interesting coloured moulds from all your bodily orifices, I recommend removing the pollen filter and burning it, appying a good system cleaner (Car Plan do one - Kleen Air - cheap on Ebay), then fit a new pollen filter.

The result will be a sweet smelling car - and if you forget and stay in the car when sterilising, a sweet smelling you too. Your armpits will be charm pits.  :2funny:
       Official CXOC Snapper         Oel ngati kameie Tsmukan

Offline wheeler

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 08:54:51 am »
Have you been loosing any coolant ?

Offline sschewie

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 01:04:45 pm »
I have the same smell in mine. My heater matrix was leaking when i first got it, but a bottle of radweld stopped it. (for now anyway ???)
I've tried allsorts to rid the curry smell (including changing the filter and a can of air con cleaner)

I think the only way to get rid is to replace the matrix (which i'm sure i'll have to do soon) :(
Xsara HDI
Saxo VTS
Saxo VTR

Offline Griff

• WRC Contender
  • Cooler than a lesbian genderfluid penguin
    • richardwho
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 08:06:07 pm »
A leaky heater matrix will produce a puddle on the floor in a Xsara. A puddle on the floor in a VAG car is usually down to a badly fitted pollen filter cover. A leaky heater matrix in a Punto means you shouldn't have bought a Punto.     This is true.

Now. ...... a smell like curry in a Xsara means either someone's been force-feeding your car Lamb Biryani thro' the air intakes, or you've got a load of fungus and other nasties brewing in the aircon ducting.

This is not good for the car and, surprisingly, it's not good for you either. So, if you don't want to start sprouting interesting coloured moulds from all your bodily orifices, I recommend removing the pollen filter and burning it, appying a good system cleaner (Car Plan do one - Kleen Air - cheap on Ebay), then fit a new pollen filter.

The result will be a sweet smelling car - and if you forget and stay in the car when sterilising, a sweet smelling you too. Your armpits will be charm pits.  :2funny:

:2funny: Ever thought about witing for Top Gear Phil  :2funny:
May contain 35 other Citroen Xsara's, a Xantia, and some Pug 306 parts. May even have new parts fitted.

• aka Phil1.6
  • Administrator
  • WRC Champion
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 02:11:30 am »

:2funny: Ever thought about witing for Top Gear Phil  :2funny:

What? And come down that far?

I'd have hoped my prose was a trifle better than that. Trouble is, my Muse only works in fits and starts - rather like me. :(
Anyway, if I went to work for them,I wouldn't have any rantings meanderings to share with you all.

Offline Griff

• WRC Contender
  • Cooler than a lesbian genderfluid penguin
    • richardwho
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 06:57:03 am »
I think the world's ready for your wrinkly wisdom.

:2funny:
May contain 35 other Citroen Xsara's, a Xantia, and some Pug 306 parts. May even have new parts fitted.

Offline cphilip

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 09:24:16 pm »
My car has a similar problem. Whenever the heater is on, there is a strong smell of something like soy sauce, and a little water leak at the passenger side. I am looking for a quick fix. Does the radweld work, anyone? The water coolant level of my car does not go down too low, still somewhere near the max level. Is there a need to drain it before and after the fix? Is that an easy job? Many thanks!

• aka Phil1.6
  • Administrator
  • WRC Champion
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 09:42:21 pm »
If you have actually bothered to read the above fully, you will have seen that the first thing you should attempt is not only the simplest, but also the cheapest. I recommend it to you.

A leak down on to the passenger floor might be a leaky matrix, but it's just as likely to be the blower drain hose come adrift - check and replace. Water reservoir topping up is often a sign that it is actually being overfilled. It does not need to be right up to MAX.

Fair enough, if you then think that slinging a can of Radweld in there will help, by all mean feel free to do so. I personally have vanishingly little faith in it since I first used it in a Morris Minor - the worst it can do is clog up whatever waterway you may still have.

When that hasn't worked, look forward to the joys of ripping out 70% of the dash to fit a new matrix.

Offline ryanlinc106

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 09:43:38 am »
we had a pug 306 a couple of years ago when the heater was on full wack there was a distinct smell of curry that night i had my first curry

Offline sschewie

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 11:56:29 am »
we had a pug 306 a couple of years ago when the heater was on full wack there was a distinct smell of curry that night i had my first curry

Any more interesting stories??  ;D
Xsara HDI
Saxo VTS
Saxo VTR

Offline wybd60

• If it aint broke, don't fix it.
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 01:16:20 am »
Indian or Chinese ;D
52 C15 Champ 600D "Rocky"
KIA Soul 10 Plate

Offline ryanlinc106

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 08:21:27 pm »
Indian or Chinese ;D
  chinese it did smell good

• aka Phil1.6
  • Administrator
  • WRC Champion
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2012, 11:12:07 pm »
That'll be Shiitake and Auricularia auricula-judae ............... probably.   :coolsmiley: