Author Topic: Replace Starter Motor/Solenoid on a Citroen Xsara 2.0 HDi 51 plate  (Read 5415 times)

Offline einstein-a-go-go

Replace Starter Motor/Solenoid on a Citroen Xsara 2.0 HDi 51 plate

How easy is this do, I'm not a mechanic, but I've done exhausts and manifolds, gaskets on a Pug 205.

I've got not Haynes manual, not looked at the engine bay yet, spoke to garage, and they told me it was a difficult job, because drive shafts have to be removed!

just lost job, so got no money really, to spend ?250 at the garage to get down, so If I can with my tools on the drive (got no ramps or pit).

I may give it a go, and try and get a new one from ebay.

Any tips, or best left to professionals?

Kwik Fit quoted ?450!

I've been having problems starting, and over the last year, it's been very laboured turning over, purchased new battery in Dec 10, because thought it was that, and then smoke appeared twice when turning over on two occasions, and now it just goes click and no start.

Offline The Wrinkly Ninja

• aka Phil1.6
  • Administrator
  • WRC Champion
  • C5 2.0 HDi 138 Exclusive Auto.
Re: Replace Starter Motor/Solenoid on a Citroen Xsara 2.0 HDi 51 plate
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 12:27:17 am »
There isn't a Haynes for the Phase II. You might get a clue from the Pug 307 book or similar.

I suggest you join the Service.Citroen site. Details are available on this forum for the login and password. You can then feed in your VIN and get individual information about your model, 90 or 110 bhp. You should find the exploded diagrams helpful.

I can't give you a definitive guide but a few pointers may help. You will need to disconnect the battery. Do not rush the removal and refitting - you must allow time from switching ignition off before disconnect and similarly when reconnecting and then turning on the first time - 2 minutes each time or you stand a real risk of screwing the ECU or BSI.

You will need to lift the car and axle stands or ramps, preferably the former, are inevitable, I'd say.   I can see no reason why the drive shafts would need removing.

I believe the starter is up behind the engine block and access is limited. You'll need to remove 2 or 3 bolts, depending on model, and the main power cable to the solenoid. Replacement, tho' fiddly should be straightforward. Tightening torques in the 307 book will be fine to use for your Xsara.

Official CXOC Snapper         Oel ngati kameie Tsmukan

Offline einstein-a-go-go

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 03:21:45 pm »
Umm, I was reading some stuff in the forums about disconnecting and replacing the battery.

The other week, I removed and replaced my battery with a new one.

Other than do that above, I didn't do anything special after.

other than drive away. I think everything still works, other than I just get click now.

which I'm sure was the problem to start with an not a new battery!

• aka Phil1.6
  • Administrator
  • WRC Champion
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 04:43:59 pm »
Well, if you've got a new battery now, no harm done. That should always be first port of call on a Xsara, and particularly the diesels.

If you are planning to change the starter, ensure you get one with a high enough rating - a 1.4 petrol one won't hack it.

I mentioned the procedure for the battery swap, as I had problems after my garage replaced a started for me, and didn't allow the system time to re-initialise.
Result?  Remote locking wouldn't and I had to jump thro' hoops to get it going again - even to the point of being told I'd need a new plip. Concentrates the mind wonderfully, that.

Offline wheeler

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 05:42:43 pm »
Well the starter motor on the 8v 2.0 HDi is probably one of the easiest ones you will ever do. All you need is an 8mm allen key + 8,10 & 13mm sockets. It is located right at the front of the engine & access is quite easy. After taking the engine cover off & following the correct battery disconnection procedure the thin solenoid wire is held on by an 8mm nut & the thick wire is bolted on with a 13mm nut, these wires are best accesed by unbolting the fuel filter housing first (2 x 10mm bolts) and swiveling it upside down. After that the starter is held on by 3 8mm allen head bolts. Done one on a C5 with the same engine a few weeks ago & it took me no more than 20 minutes from start to finish & thats including the whole battery disconnect/reconnect procedure.
Only thing that may be different on the Xsara there may be a bit less room in the engine bay so you may need to remove the air filter housing aswell but not had a look under the bonnet of an HDi xsara for a while.

Offline wheeler

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 10:34:59 pm »
I dont know why your getting such silly quotes for this repair as the citroen listed repair time to remove & refit the starter motor on the 2.0 HDi xsara in situ is only half an hour.

• aka Phil1.6
  • Administrator
  • WRC Champion
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 11:10:42 pm »
That sounds great - just the sort of job I like these days.  ;D  Couple of screws and a smartish wallop.

Offline einstein-a-go-go

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 04:09:48 pm »
okay, I've got down and dirty (oily), and I can see the starter motor in the engine bay, identified by part of the label. I can see the terminals behind the fuel filter, I can see the allen key bolts, (need to purchase a good allen key).

how easy is this to remove, and get another one in, they are lots of pipes and wires in the way, like a plastic wiring haress, any clues.

I don't want to start this and look like a complete twat, because I got to call the RAC to take the car down the garage to fit the new one!

once the 3 allen key bolts are removed, do I pull out, and then forward and right?

Offline wheeler

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 09:23:20 pm »
It will take a bit of twisting & turning in different directions but it will come out, just watch you dont damage the radiator as they are quite soft.

Offline einstein-a-go-go

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 07:46:02 pm »
Thanks for your help, it took me a while to find a replacement, with the use of a mirror, and Citroen Service site, because it had burnt through the label!

then off to halfords to get some hex bolt sockets (8mm and 6mm), I also had to remove the power steering pipes at the bottom, to get at the bottom starter bolt. But as you said removing the airbox helps greatly.

the only slightly issue, holding with one hand and thumb screwing the bolts in place!, but overall a very quick job!

All done, with your help, why the stealers wre telling me, it's round the back of the engine block and drive shafts need removing I don't know!

In fact, starting has never sounded better.

(so, if anyone else wants a hand removing and replacing a starter on a Citroen Xsara 2.0 MKII HDi, in Yorkshire, let me know!!!!)

« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 07:47:44 pm by einstein-a-go-go »