Author Topic: stop engine light !  (Read 3764 times)

Offline mac73

stop engine light !
« on: January 04, 2011, 08:51:16 am »
hi i have a phase 2 vts which has the good old STOP engine light come on with engine coolant to high warning,
problem is the car is not overheating as i have had this problem for a couple of weeks and car shows no sign of running hot.
the only problem is that the cars heater never warms up and the fan is always on due to the fact it thinks its over heating.
any ideas anyone ?
51 reg vts pale blue

Offline Xsarahdi

Re: stop engine light !
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 09:40:05 am »
I had this problem with my HDi but I don't know if it is the same fix on the vts. It was a green coolant temperature sensor on the right side of the engine on the thermostat housing. It only cost around ?11 from the Citroen dealers at the time and was fairly easy to fit.
2003 Xsara HDI 110 SX
1996 ZX 1.9D Elation
1999 306 1.9TD Meridian

Offline The Wrinkly Ninja

• aka Phil1.6
  • Administrator
  • WRC Champion
  • C5 2.0 HDi 136 Exclusive Auto.
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 09:47:30 am »
That temperature sensor has been known to fail and will put up a false warning.

If the engine isn't heating up to the normal running temp of just below the 90 mark, then the thermostat has likely failed as well. In which case, replacing both and a refill with some nice new antifreeze is in order, followed by very careful bleeding to get all the air out.
       Official CXOC Snapper         Oel ngati kameie Tsmukan

Offline mac73

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 10:28:28 am »
many thanks for the speedy replies i was thinking along those lines .
off to the stealers i go !
will post the results and prices once fixed  :D
51 reg vts pale blue

Offline Captain Joe

• WRC Champion
  • You're gonna be fine....... baby doll!
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 06:08:43 pm »
hi i have a phase 2 vts which has the good old STOP engine light come on with engine coolant to high warning,
problem is the car is not overheating as i have had this problem for a couple of weeks and car shows no sign of running hot.
the only problem is that the cars heater never warms up and the fan is always on due to the fact it thinks its over heating.
any ideas anyone ?

i'm getting similar problems. STOP light and coolant warning light on but temp gauge reading about 80-90, also fans on nearly all the time. do we have a definitive answer yet on what the culprit is?

Team "Don't Ban Gav He's Not That Bad Really Apart From Breaking The Fulminator"

• aka Phil1.6
  • Administrator
  • WRC Champion
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 06:57:23 pm »
I thought on the Phase I the main problem was the paired relays on the rad.

Offline Captain Joe

• WRC Champion
  • You're gonna be fine....... baby doll!
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 07:51:13 pm »
not heard that one before, also how would that explain the STOP light?

i also have a faint random beep coming from the dash, sounds like someone's texting from behind my speedo. what the hell could that be?

Team "Don't Ban Gav He's Not That Bad Really Apart From Breaking The Fulminator"

• aka Phil1.6
  • Administrator
  • WRC Champion
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 09:39:48 pm »
Hey, I don't have to explain the STOP light - I've just read/heard they can fail and give you strange effects. Me, I don't like those sort of things anywhere near rads & water.

Perhaps your engine gnome is texting to tell you to check the rad out - what do I know? Someone's got to write those strange messages that come up on the screen.

Offline kristo

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 06:51:37 pm »
I have the same problem: I own a xsara picasso 1,8 (2002).
Suddenly and absolutelly randomly, the temp gauge goes red and the warning "STOP ENGINE TEMPERATURE" with the beep appears.
Even if I stop engine , lock the car and start over again, the singal does not stop and the ventilator is still on.
Only when I remove the #3 (yellow, 20A) fuse on the engine fuse box, 2nd line, the warning dissapears and the fan stops.
Does anyone have any idea what is wrong?
Could it be that " green coolant temperature sensor on the right side of the engine on the thermostat housing"?
Thanks in advance.
Best regards
kristo

• aka Phil1.6
  • Administrator
  • WRC Champion
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2011, 12:34:25 am »
Replace that first as an obvious measure. If that boesn't work, we'll have to think again. It's pretty much the cheapest first solution.